Tuesday 21 June 2016

Story *1

 In The Night I Dream Of Romeo...

Chapter One *Cami*


I watched, my heart racing, as Travis slowly made his way across the pub. His eyes were locked on mine with such intensity it felt like if I so much as let out a breath; the whole place would go up in smoke.

We hadn't seen each other since that moment, a while ago now, when we grew close over a camp fire. Both our situations had been different then. Our status had been different then. Yet, even at the time, we'd had an almost... Toxic energy.

It was an energy that had transpired from a physical interest in to long distance friends. Messages exchanged over the course of time. Growing from budding friendship to flirtatious banter and eventually, settling on a comfortable, dependable relationship. He was the only person that I just knew I could be myself with. The one that I could handle most things I threw at him.

Now, both newly single, I had been painfully aware of how much frisson went along with each of our messages. Knowing that it could lead to places. Places that may be a wondrous new adventure or, just as possible, a place we were not ready to visit.

However, soon enough, the topic of meeting came up - as it did every few weeks, and so, we had found our place. A forgotten pub that lived almost exactly halfway between our cities.

This pub would be the stage in which we would audition, be cast in our parts and finally, play out the scene of our future.
This night would be the half time of our game. The practiced speech would either encourage us to go out and win or, inevitably send us home in disappointment.
It was a lot to take on as I sat and waited and watched as he made his way to my side.

Smiling as if not a care in the world...



Did You Really Love Him That Much?

Chapter 2 *Travis*

She was wearing a lacy red top, heels and tight, black jeans that hugged her figure in just the right way. It was almost painful; stirring feelings that hadn't made an appearance in quite a while. She turned, caught me in her gaze and smiled. I was a trapped butterfly in her grasp. Yet, it was such a pretty smile that I thought I had imagined the tension between us over the last few weeks.

It was her eyes that gave her away. Those eyes. The grass-green perfection that seemed to dance each time that she laughed. However, just behind the glimmer, I could see the tiniest button of nerves, hiding. Scared of what was to come.

Part of me wanted to just kiss her. Right there in front of everyone. Just to stop the torture of the unknown. To stop it ruining the absolute happiness that came along with seeing Cami. Yet, my body didn't acknowledge my commands.
Instead I hugged her, quickly.
I sat down, abruptly.
Ordered a drink.
I waited for the awkwardness to consume me and watched as the threads unfurled.

All the while my thoughts circled the night we spent together. Talking into the embers of the fire and watching the sun rise with the dawn of something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment